Wednesday, May 30, 2012

BRP Resolution Facelift: TN 100, Roll Over

Now, I'm not that big a fan of d100 systems. Most of the time, I'm not wanting or needing the granularity of something on the scale of percentage points. However, because I play games with people who are not me, I get involved in systems that use d100s.

For systems such as Chaosium, you roll a d100 and try to get under your skill rank; so being forced to make check with your Driving at 46% means you succeed if you roll a 46 or less. This works a lot like THAC0, in that once you start dealing with modifiers, degree of success (how much you succeed by), or opposed rolls, there are going to be extra steps that are not intuitive by nature.

I hold that it would be an easy situation to change the system to taking your skill rank and ADD it to your roll, success occurs when you exceed 100. You chance of success is still the same, and any modifiers, comparisons, or degree of success can be done very quickly and easily.

To top it off, just for the heck of it, include a chance of 'critical' success by declaring one of the numbers on the 1s die to be special (I suggest the 9 or 0). If you both succeed and that number is rolled, then you have a critical success on top of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment